If you do not know how you are blocking your own blessings, how will you stop? It is important to understand the ways in which you stand in the way of these blessings to ensure that you live up to your fullest potential and receive all the blessings The Good Lord has in store for you. It is time to take responsibility for things going on in your life and stop blocking your blessings!
5 Ways You Block Your Blessings
- Fear: This emotion is a feeling that comes from this world. Whether you fear the government, speaking in public or failing, you must remember the Spirit you have been given. For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control [2 Timothy 1:7]. Fear comes from the mind, not the Spirit. Your past situations, phobias or traumas do not need to be given power or authority over you because God has granted you the blessing of living fearlessly. Since, God will never leave you nor forsake you, fear never has to enter your heart because God is always with you. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand [Isaiah 41:10].
- Doubt: This emotion occurs with a lack of faith. Blessings do not come to those who doubt. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways [James 1:5-8].
- Jealousy: Being jealous of someone else’s blessings is the quickest way to block your own blessings. You focus more on what they have and neglect the work God has already done in your life. Do not judge someone’s chapter 5 to your chapter 1. You do not know the sacrifices they made or obstacles they overcame to get the blessings they have. Instead, focus on your blessings and do not allow the seed of jealousy to be planted or grow within your heart. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice [James 3:16]. There is a reason that jealousy, as well as envy are part of the 7 deadly sins. Do not entertain jealous thoughts for they will only block your own blessings.
- Envy: This is wishing or wanting what others have and this is Satan’s biggest trick to make you feel defeated. Envy creates a lack of trust in God and ultimately breaks down your faith. It reminds you of what you do not have and fills your heart with bitterness. You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions [James 4:2-3]. Ask God with faith and then you will not need to feel envious. Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you [Matthew 7:7].
- Comparing: Social media and technology has changed the world. Now, you are able to scroll through Instagram and see hundreds of images in a matter of seconds. Seeing this images can play on your self-esteem and make you want to compare you life to others. These comparing thoughts shut the door of opportunity from opening because you are focused on what you could be doing instead of what you should be doing. Instead of comparing yourself to someone who is always at the gym, why not get up and go to the gym? Don’t compare yourself to people who are always traveling instead start saving, get a passport and plan your trip! You are not created to compare yourself, because you are unique in creation. God did not make two of you, He made you! Perfectly imperfect.
“Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding” [2 Corinthians 10:12]