Question: Why do Christians share the same statistical rate of divorce as everyone else? How could Christian marriages fail if they are sanctified by God?
“Haven’t you read the Scriptures?” Jesus replied. “They record that from the beginning ‘God made them male and female. And he said, “‘This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one. Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together.” -Matthew 19:4-6
Christians are no different than any other humans. Being a christian doesn’t make you or your marriage perfect. The truth is that, divorce can occur for many different reasons. Although, marriage is sacred and vows should be kept, life happens. Only God can judge and only God knows our heart and intentions. The sad truth is that not everyone who claims to be a ‘Christian’ lives like a Christian. Just as their are pastors who preach “love and commitment” but then go home and cheat on their wives. The shocking events involving the Pope and young boys is another example of those who claim to be something they are not. We have to be mindful of titles and labels that are assigned to an individual. They may be called something, but that doesn’t necessarily make it true. Actions speak louder than words!
The book of Matthew, chapter 19 discusses divorce and marriage. When the Pharisees asked Jesus “then why did Moses say in law that a man could give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away? Jesus replied “Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended.” This let’s us know that when marriage was created, divorce was not. Divorce should never be an option, but in this world, we sometimes answer according to our flesh rather than the will of God.
I recommend reading this entire chapter of Matthew, Mark chapter 10 and 1 Corinthians chapter 7 for better clarity and understanding on marriage and divorce.
10 Reasons for Divorce
- Married too quickly
- Relationship wasn’t brought together by God
- Pride and ego speak louder than Spirit and Truth
- A lack of prayer, faith and seeking God’s counsel within the relationship
- Married for wrong reasons (lust, money, etc. . .)
- A lack of repentance and willingness to turn from old ways
- Unequally yolked
- Individuals lacks individual relationships with The Lord (if you don’t know God, how can you know His word? How can you live by His commands?)
- Outside sources interfere by creating chaos and tension. Without a strong prayer life, temptations can overpower and destroy the bond within the relationship.
Although there are many reasons as to why Christians get divorced (not limited to the 10 listed above), Christians are still human and fall short to the glory of God. Christian is a religion, and religion is man-made. We can not view people as a religion and hold them on a higher petal stool, because they are no greater or lesser than anyone else. However, those who claim to be ‘Christian’ and live according to God’s word, will have an amazing and fulfilling marriage. Marriage is not easy, it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. But, hard work reaps great rewards. God is faithful, and His promises for marriage stand forever!
- “Many claim to have unfailing love, but a faithful person who can find? The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them” – Proverbs 20:6-7
- “A worth wife is a crown for her husband, but a disgraceful woman is like cancer in his bones” –Proverb 12:4
- “The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from The Lord” –Proverbs 18:22