I never realized tipping for takeout was optional. I assumed, calling in an order and driving to pick it up cancelled out, my having to tip for service. It wasn’t until, I became an employee on the other end when I noticed how special tipping was, at any given opportunity. Working as a takeout cashier, gave me insight into a whole new way of thinking. Tipping is not about the other person, it is an opportunity to show appreciation and thankfulness toward God. Just as paying tithes is important, so is tipping your server and/or waiter.
5 Reasons to Always* Tip a service industry employee
- God is watching: “Give generously to them and do so without a guarding heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.” – Deuteronomy 15:10. When we tip it is because we are showing God our faith. Faith is believing God will provide for all things in life including finances. Trust that the money we tip will come back in abundance. God wants us to give freely and generously because he gives generously.
- The blessings in store: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control” – Galatians 5:22. When we step out on faith, God extends his hand and pours our his blessings. When we bless others, He blesses us.
- Trust in finances: “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out it’s roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; it’s leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.” Jeremiah 17:7-8 Trusting in God means believing you are taken care of. The more you trust, the more He reveals.
- Money is just a piece of paper: “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will be abound in every good work” – 2 Corinthians 9:7-8 Since the love of money is the root to all evil, we must treat it as such. Do not allow money to control your life but instead allow money to be used as a blessing for others.
- Moral and ethically polite: “And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” – Hebrews 13:16. I never experienced a negative feeling with not tipping for takeout orders, because I was never on the receiving end. The moment I got my first tip I was over joyed. We never know what someone is going through and a dollar bill goes a long way. We will not leave this world with money, so why hold on to it now?